Each year, in addition to several ongoing monthly segments, producers of The Ask Rayceen Show also present several annual signature events that fans routinely look forward to. In some cases, these fan favorites can ultimately become the highlight of the season.
Click below to learn more about the distinctive Annual Events, which always play an integral role in the overall success of The Ask Rayceen Show.
The # AskRayceen Poetry Slam is open to any eligible* individual who wants to participate, but there will likely be time for no more than ten people to participate. To signup, please arrive early. Signup will begin when Team Rayceen arrives to setup at 4pm. Doors open at 6pm. Please signup by 6:30pm. Signup and admission are both free. The audience favorite will win the cash prize.
1. Time may only permit for the first 10 people who sign up to perform.
2. Performance time must be under 5 minutes. Your time begins once your name is called, so please note who precedes you. If you miss your name being called, you will not be called again until all other names have been called.
3. Participants must perform their own original material.
4. Performances must be original to #AskRayceen Annual Poetry Slam; nothing performed at previous #AskRayceen Annual Poetry Slams is permitted.
5. Participants may not use props or play music.
6. This competition is for individuals only. If you have a piece to perform with 2 or more people, we encourage you to participate in the #AskRayceen Annual Talent Competition in October (see rules and guidelines below).
7. If the audience response for the top finalists is similar, Rayceen Pendarvis will make the final call as to who is eliminated. If the response for the top 2 is similar, Rayceen may declare a tie and split the prize money.
Violating any of the above rules will result in disqualification from the competition. Performances must be under 5 minutes. At the five-minute mark, the microphone will be turned off and the performer will be asked to leave the stage.
*Eligibility exceptions: The winner (or winners, in the case of a tie) of the previous year’s poetry slam and the top three winners of the previous year’s talent competition are not eligible to participate.
We hope to see you at our next poetry slam.
1. The # AskRayceen Talent Competition is open to Individuals and groups of 8 people or less, unless disqualified for a reason listed below:
Prize winners from past year’s competitions, Poetry Slam champion(s), and anyone who was a featured performer on the show this year or last year. Other than the previous year's top three winners, anyone who previously participated in the talent competition may compete.
2. Preferred performance time is 3-4 minutes. Performances may not be more than 5 minutes. Performances running over 5 minutes will be interrupted and/or disqualified.
3. Signup occurs on the day of the competition. Only the first 10 contestants are guaranteed an opportunity to compete; additional contestants will be able to compete only if time permits. If there are less than 5 contestants, prize amounts may be adjusted.
4. Winners are selected based upon applause from the audience. Rayceen Pendarvis will make the final call if any close decisions must be made.
5. Similar performers may be sorted into subcategories for the process of elimination. From the winners of each subcategory (as chosen by the audience), the audience will select the top three overall winners.
6. If performances include music accompaniment, MP3s may be emailed ahead of time to be forwarded to the DJ. All performers are encouraged to have backup for their music, including CDs and MP3s on phones, iPods, or other devices.
7. Performers are encouraged to promote their performance and invite as many attendees as they like. Please use #AskRayceen on social media. Select participants may be asked to perform next year at "The Ask Rayceen Show" or possibly participate the next month at the Extra Sexy Season Finalé in November.
#AskRayceen Annual Talent Competition
1st Place: TBA ($100+) 2nd: TBA cash prize 3rd: TBA cash prize
• Contestants must be present for the group photo, taken prior to the first performance, at 7pm.
• Know your performance order. Your time starts immediately after you are introduced, regardless of how far from the stage you are.
• Performance order is determined based upon the types of talents the competitors are performing. We avoid having those with similar talents perform back to back.
• Write your name how you want to be called to the stage. If pronunciation may be an issue, please make sure that the production director knows the correct pronunciation. Please include your preferred pronoun as well.
• If competing as part of a group, write the group’s Twitter handle and email on the signup form. All members should write their individual Twitter handles and email addresses on the back of the form. Please print legibly.
(Reminder: There can be no more than 8 people in a group.)
• If you have questions, please consult the production director, members of Team Rayceen, or a volunteer. Do not approach Rayceen Pendarvis or the DJ with questions unless you have been instructed to do so.
• No animals permitted. Human contestants only.
• No pyrotechnics allowed. Nothing that could potentially injure attendees, leave debris or residue on the stage, or damage the venue is permitted. If you have doubts regarding this, request approval.
• If you are interested in working on projects with or becoming a member of Team Rayceen, please talk to the production director after the show concludes. In addition to crew and volunteers, we are seeking performers as well as models and stage assistants.
• There are gift bags for participants which will be distributed, as supplies last, with priority given to the highest ranking contestants.
We hope to see you at our next talent competition.